Saturday, September 1, 2012

SLC Half Marathon

This morning I ran my first half marathon! I have been really into running for the last 7 months or so, but I never thought I would be able to push my body into running more than 5 miles. About 5 weeks ago, my good friend Lisa (Bradley) Drollinger told me she and her sisters were running the half marathon and she invited me to join. I decided to print off the training schedule and stick to it and then decide. Well, after a few long runs, I registered and decided to go for it. I'm so glad I did. It has been so much fun to train and then actually be able to run 13.2 miles! The race was great. The first 4 miles were entirely uphill and that was rough but thankfully the next 6 mile stretch was steady downhill. The last few miles were flat and I found the last mile to be fairly difficult which surprised me because I thought at that point adrenaline would just carry me to the finish. Yeah, not the case for me. The only time I walked was for about 15 seconds during the last mile of the race. It was a gorgeous run down Emigration Canyon and the weather was amazing. It had been raining hard all morning and we were afraid we might get rained on or that the race would be cancelled due to lightning. Luckily, by the time we got to the start line, the rain had subsided and it was just overcast and cool the rest of the race. I had a great experience and I'm so glad I did it.
Before the race began.

The kids waiting for Lisa and I at the finish.

The finish line finally in sight!

Almost done!

I was able to keep all my miles under 10 minutes so my finish time ended up being 2 hours 9 min. I am happy with that time, especially since it was my first half marathon.

Me and the Bradley sisters! Lisa, Jenny and Natalie.

I love this picture because I had only been across the finish line for 2 minutes and my kids were already wrapped around my legs! I sure love them.


1 comment:

Becca said...

Way to go. That is so impressive. I can't beleive you did it in 5 weeks!