Monday, September 21, 2009

I Know...wha wha wha cry and moan...

I am feeling a little discouraged this week. Being a mom is quite a trial for me at times. Asa and I got off on the wrong foot...for the first 6 months...and I am so glad that he is a happier baby, but man I am tired of being tired all the time. I guess I am going through the phase of thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Its funny because on the one hand I know I would never trade life with Asa for anything but on the other hand I really miss my freedom. I am still a little selfish for my own good. Like today, I looked out the window and saw my little brother taking a nap on a blanket in the sun. I got instantly sad because I just miss having time to myself to do things like that when I feel like it. It is a chore trying to go anywhere as I am scrambling to get the essentials into the diaper bag with one hand while holding onto a baby with the other. Do you get tired of doing things one-handed as well? I have this movie that I have been wanting to finish watching for a couple weeks now...but every time I go to finish it, Asa starts to cry or needs my attention or wakes up from his nap way to early. Last night I had a dream that I rented a hotel room for one single night to spend all by myself. I watched TV, sat in the hot tub, slept in late...then I woke up from my dream to my 5:30 am alarm clock telling me it was time to get up and go to the gym. It's just the simple freedoms that I really miss. Sometimes I feel silly because I only have one baby under my care...how will I ever be able to handle more?? Will I ever truly enjoy life as a mother completely or will it always be a little bittersweet? Granted, Asa has been a tough little guy from the get-go so maybe I am just experiencing the hardest first. Who knows. I figure that I'm not alone in these feelings, so if any of you also need to vent or maybe have encouraging words...feel free...

7 comments:

Lexi said...

I think every mom feels like this at some point. Having a baby is a HUGE adjustment.

This talk by M. Russell Ballard always lifts my spirits and gives me strength and purpose in motherhood.

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=7be4279c7c699110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=f318118dd536c010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD

Sorry about the long link, just copy and paste it into your browser.

Lant Family said...

Welcome to motherhood :) I second Lexi on that talk--Also try reading I am A Mothe by Jane Clayson, great book!

Holley and Brandon said...

Annie, I feel exactly the same way at times. I couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe we should plan a girls night and have a sleepover somewhere and leave the babies home with the guys... How great it would be for one night to sleep without worrying about getting woken up and getting to sleep IN. Heaven!

Dave said...

You already know that every mom feels that way. I can't tell you how much my life ENDED with the triplets. I cried all the time! But now it is great! The important thing to remember is that you have to take time for YOU! If you need that night in a hotel, do it! You can't be a good, loving mom when you feel stressed and tired. Take some time for yourself and then when you come back you'll be excited to see your baby!

Jessica Anderson said...

I dont know what all these other mom's are talking about. Being a mom is a piece of cake!............ NOT. Girl, I feel your pain, and i thought i wouldn't be able to adjust to two kids, then when it happened, you just adjust to it like you did the first one, but i'll tell you one thing. I thought having JUST Nixon was hard... after having Ace, I realized that I was very wrong... I now enjoy being able to just take nixon to the store instead of both kids and little things that I would much rather do myself but find it almost easier to take one kid with me. I feel overwhelmed pretty much EVERY day, and need more breaks then I get (which is pretty much once a month if that) And if you don't mind, make Berkeley tell Doug he needs to show a little more sympathy for the "mom world" because I think Berk seems to be understanding about how hard it can be, Doug on the other hand only sees it after I have it under control and gives me grief for not getting things done sometimes. if they only REALLY knew how hard it was. If I didn't care so much about being the one raising my children, i'd get a job in a heartbeat! Now going through potty training is horrible and the only thing that's keeping me going is the sole fact that if it happens, I can send Nixon off to pre-school and i'll get at least a few hours of sanity a day... well, as much as you can get with 1 child.

Hang in there, the older they get the more fun they can be cause you can do more fun stuff...

Justin, Melanie, & Juliet said...

I love the "doing things one-handed" comment! That just made me laugh because I totally identify. Also, your dream sounded wonderful, but the reality that you go to the gym is amazing! Give yourself credit for doing that, especially at 5:30!

Scott and Jen Burrahm said...

Believe me I know exactly how you feel I feel the same way too....But like so many things in life, this is a phase and I keep telling myself it will get easier as we go...I love Bryson and he is an easy baby. But sometimes the little things seem so hard. This is what makes mothers strong. With time all things pass. Like we said earlier, the time is flying by faster and faster and soon it will be a lot easier and we will be able to laugh with Karen & Dave and remember when it was difficult for us. Hang in there it can't last that long. I think it will be gone before you know it.