Friday, October 23, 2009

Food for Thought

"[God] has infinite attention to spare for each one of us. He does not have to deal with us in the mass. You are as much alone with Him as if you were the only being He had ever created." -C.S. Lewis

I copied this quote from my sister-in-law's blog. I love it. I really needed some food for thought today. Especially spiritual food for thought. Do you ever get in a spiritual rut and can't quite figure out (or motivate yourself) to get out of it. I have been feeling this way lately. I feel a little separated from God and a little saddened by my lack of spirituality. I continually have to remind myself that this is life...spiritual ups and downs...but I also know that if there is a feeling of estrangement from God, then this is something I need to fix. I heard a quote once that said something like, "If there is problem between man and God, then there is no question who needs to correct it because God is perfect." I can't remember who said that but it has motivated me once again to set some spiritual goals. It is time to get out of the rut and be the woman God wants me to be. So here are some goals I am going to work on...

1. Personal Prayers. This is easy to forget when Berkeley and I pray together so often, but it is one of the things I really need the most.
2. Personal Scripture Study. Diddo to #1. My specific goal here is to read with purpose. I used to write down questions I would have as I read and then I would seek out the answers. Maybe I will do that again.
3. Temple Attendance. My life has been so richly blessed because of the temple. I am sealed forever to my spouse, my children, and my family. This means so much to me. After receiving such great blessings, why would I withhold those blessings from others waiting for them? The temple provides peace and clarity in my life which I can always use more of.

One thing I love about the gospel is that we can never be complacent. There is always something to work on, always something to learn, always something to do. It's time to re-commit myself.

2 comments:

Peterson Family said...

I like the quotes you have in this post. Made me think of things I could work on also. Especially going to the temple. Its so close yet its so hard getting there and every time Im there I never want to leave. Thank you for this post.

Becca said...

That is great. I have noticed that for some reason after each kid I get in a spiritual rut. Which is so crazy because when they are born I feel so close to the Lord as you have just recieved a choice spirit...but then life happens and you have a new life to adjust to, both yours and the babies, and my spiritual growth gets stunted for awhile. Love ya, good luck. Just thought I would share that you are not alone.