Friday, June 12, 2009

Just Some Thoughts

Life has been a rough haul the last couple months. I know that things have seemed much more difficult because Berkeley has been gone. He just has a way of keeping me level headed, calm, and more patient. He always knows just what to say and do to make me feel special especially during times when I feel down. Only 2 1/2 weeks until he gets home and I can't wait to have him back!! I can't wait to share the responsibility of Asa with him again. I have never been more tired in my whole life than I have been the last two months. No joke. Who knew an infant could take so much out of you. My biggest struggle with Asa is sleeping. The nights are bad. He usually does a 3 hour shift to start the night then wakes up every hour or two after that. I only feed him ever 4 hours if possible, but he just wakes up and cries and squirms. I started doing some sleep training two nights ago. He is crying himself to sleep and in the night I usually let him fuss for quite a while in hopes that he will learn to put himself back to sleep. So far that hasn't worked. It is just hard. I am tired. Hopefully he will start to learn how to be a better sleeper soon or I might go crazy. I ran into my good friend yesterday. She has a baby one month younger than Asa. I asked her how he sleeps and she said he goes to bed at 10 pm and doesn't wake up until 8 am!! Is it normal to feel jealous over your friends babies?? Also, Asa is such a fussy little guy a lot of the time and it is so hard not knowing how long this phase will last. I wish I could see the end of the fussy period and get a glimpse of what it will be like when he is happy and content more often. He does have some good days and usually some good times each day. When he smiles it melts my heart and makes things seem so worth it. I just can't wait until there is more of that happening. I keep telling myself that this time will pass and things will get easier. Until then I pray a lot and ask for the strength and energy I need to keep plugging along. Sometimes I feel guilty for complaining because I realize what a blessing it is to be a mother and the love I have for Asa is unlike any love I've ever experienced. My sister-in-law Jackie said it perfectly. She said that kids are "a wonderful trial" but so worth it. I am learning so much every day mostly about myself. I know I am developing patience, endurance, and faith in the Lord's will and timing. I also know that Berkeley and I made the right decision about joining the military, so the struggles I'm facing now must be for my good. Thanks to all of you for being such great friends. Thank you for all the phone calls just to see how we're doing. Thanks for your prayers in our behalf. We love you guys.

8 comments:

Dorothy said...

Annie, I think you have such a good attitude about everything. I think a baby is hard, and Summer really isn't even a crier. Don't get me wrong, she cries. But it's so hard when I'm so tired and she's awake and wants to be held and walked around and all I want to do is sleep or eat ice cream. Oh, yeah, my husband isn't gone either. I know this isn't much of a consolation, but everyone is really impressed with the way you're handling a very rough situation.

Becca said...

Annie, I totally feel for you. I don't know if it is normal to be jealous of your friends baby, but if it makes you feel better I have been there. When Jonathan was little he cried all the time and had such a hard time falling asleep and there was this girl in church and her little baby would sleep so soundly in the car seat and she always said oh, he is sleeping 12 hours at night. I was SOOOO jealous.
Hang in there. I know it is hard when your husband is gone and when your baby doesn't want to sleep. I think every baby is different. My first two slept throught he night at 4 months( I mean all night 12 hours). Lily still wakes up and is 10 months old. At Asa's age she was the exact same way. was up every 1-2 hours. It is hard no matter how good you are when your baby is up all night and then to not have your husband that is REALLY hard. It will pass. Something that has helped me, is to realize she is going to wake up and just enjoy it. I tried it all and it just was too hard to hear her cry all the time even when David was rocking her. Finally I just enjoyed it, instead of thought of it as an inconvenience and that really helped. Also, with her being my third it was my one time to be with just her so I started looking forward to it. Don't get me wrong, I was tired, I would like her to sleep, and there were some(okay many) nights still where I did not want to get up with her, but for the most part I have just started to enjoy it.
I don't know if this helps, but I felt like sharing it with you. You are great and we love you tons.

Anonymous said...

Annie as always I look up to you more than ever! An amazing woman who is now an amazing mother! I love and you am praying for you too girl! So glad I got to see you the other day! You are strong and can get through anything!

Mickelle said...

Oh, Annie. You don't know how often you are in my thoughts! I think you are doing a positively wonderful job. It's so impressive!

It's easy to start feeling guilty about every little flaw, but anyone in your same situation would feel just as you do! So don't let yourself go feeling badly, it just drains strength.

Amanda said...

Hey Annie--I come to your blog every so often and check in. I totally know what you mean. Having a tiny baby, even when your husband is home, is such a challenge. You want to meet every need they have--but it's impossible to just know what those needs are. Especially when your brain is soggy from lack of sleep. :) My first slept through the night at 6 weeks...my second didn't sleep through the night until about 7 months. I wondered what I was doing wrong the second time around! I figured out that there was nothing I was doing wrong. I was trusting my instincts as her mommy and that's all I could do. Hang in there. This, too, shall pass and then the joys and frustrations of yet another phase will appear. Just keep doing what you know is best for you and your son!

Laura said...

It is completely normal to be jealous of other babies that sleep longer at night. Lily slept exactly like Asa is and she is only now starting to sleep better at night. He will start sleeping better. I agree with Amanda it is only a phase and it will pass. It is hard but do what you think is best for you and your baby.

Lisa and Lance said...

Annie my friend! I am sorry you are having such a rough time with Asa. I am sure it probably feels 100% worse without Berkeley. Lets get together before you leave for Texas, what do you have planned for next week? Call me when you can. Good luck, hopefully Asa will sleep through the night soon. You deserve it!

Tami H. said...

Annie, I am not sure if I mentioned this before, but the book babywise saved me as a parent!
REad it, and try it 100% for a couple weeks and hopefully Asa will sleep better for you. Some of the principles in there are waking him up at the same time every morning to establish his metabalism and giving him wake time after eating during the day followed by nap time. Just trying to help.

Also, Kaiya was fussy and a VERY fussy eater. Kevin's dad suggested she be on a pro-biotic to help her body digest my milk better and that REALLY helped. How are Asa's bowel movements? Every day or every couple days? That may give a clue to how well his body processes milk.