Saturday, May 8, 2010

The Home Buying Bug

Have you ever gotten bit by the home buying bug? I have. 3 or 4 times a year since I got married. I open up KSL home listings and browse "just for fun" and then I can't stop! I instantly start rationalizing ways that "we can afford that"...if we never buy groceries or never have any emergency...etc. Then, I find myself wanting to do walk-thru's "just for fun". Then I take serious looks at our budget to find out what, in fact, we could afford, and then I look at listings some more. It is crazy how much I want to be done with renting and have our own place. I know now is not a logical time to invest and that if we "just wait another year or two" than we can get a place we "really like" rather than settle for a place that we "like enough". Finally, after about 2 weeks of living through the delirium of the house hunting bug, I am able to close the computer and put it back out of my mind. I let it go and finally feel content with where we are. After all, I really should love only paying $625/month for rent rather than a mortgage, right?! Currently I am fighting the house buying bug and trying to get back to my "content with where I am" state of mind. Why is it so hard to just be happy with each phase of life? I know we'll get a house soon enough with all the stresses that accompany it, but for now I just need to close the computer.

4 comments:

Kellie said...

you should buy our condo :) we love it. ha, jk.

Dorothy said...

I totally used to want to buy a home, but now I think we'll be renting for a long time. Renting is so much less of a hassle! I read some financial advice a while back that resonated with me: a home should just be a place to live, not an investment. With interest, a home has to appreciate quite a bit for it to make smart money sense. Or something like that. Now if only I could beat the decorating bug!

Lincoln and Alisia said...

ha ha I totally have the home buying bug right now too!! Except out here houses are twice as expensive so we REALLY can't afford it!

camjackieward said...

you don't want a mortgage, it will be at least twice the rent, although I understand the house buying bug, it bit us at the wrong time. And I don't know that one is ever really content with where they are at. Cameron and I have just discovered that we are currently not content. It's a phase and it will pass and we will be happy about where we are again, but a change is always nice.