Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I'm sorry, what?

I am now on weekly doctor visits and I went in this morning for my 35 week check-up. I have gotten used to the routine of...
1. Pee in a cup and put it in that weird little door in the wall where it magically disappears.
2. Sit in the chair, pull up my sleeve, have that blood pressure cuff cut off the circulation to my lower arm and hand.
3. Take off shoes and stand on the scale to be weighed.

So far, I have had no big surprises with weight gain. In fact, I am proud to say that at my appt last week, I had only gained about 16 lbs total which up until today has kept me under Berkeley's weight. Today, I stepped on the scale but did not look down. I heard the nurse say my current weight as she jotted the number down in my chart. By this time, I was already off the scale and I blurted out...."I'm sorry, but what did you say?" She repeated my weight. I got back on the scale to double check. I had gained like 5 lbs in 6 days!! Is that normal? The nurse assured me that all is well and women who don't gain fast in the beginning make up for it in the end. So much for weighing less than Berkeley. On the bright side, maybe our little boy won't be a runt afterall!

8 comments:

Lant Family said...

HAHA!! Welcome to the end of pregnancy!

Lexi said...

Isn't pregnancy wonderful? Who knew peeing in a cup could become second nature? I want Asa to get here soon!! Come on girl, go for a hike or a run or something...

Usually Kristen sometimes Kevin said...

That's how it was for me too. I was slow to gain at first (well, I was sick enough to lose) and then I caught up to average total weight gain right at the end. I think it was just to keep me from becoming too proud (and to motivate me to get the kid out.) Good Luck!

Amber Monson said...

You looked so tiny in your picture. I'm sure the weight gain..was great for little ASA. I always get so sick while I'm prego I too don't gain very much. Then I end up weighing less after being prego then before. Which is nice at first tell you start eating everything you didnt for those 9 months.

Jessica Anderson said...

well, your lucky for only gaining 16 pounds at this point. I was a fat lard at that point in the pregnancy and was gaining like 10 pounds a month the last 3 months. Plus the 1 pound a week the baby gains on top of all that. So, i wouldn't worry at all! Cause you look great and you have nothing to worry about.

Laura said...

Annie only gaining 21 lbs is pretty good. I gained almost 50 lbs and Lily was 6 lbs 12oz. No joke. If it make you feel better, I give you permission to say "At least I haven't gained 50 lbs like Laura." But rest assured that if you nurse your little one, that helps the lbs come off.

Dorothy said...

I second what Lexi said and add getting off pelvic rest. I freaking hate the scale! And don't worry, I already weigh more than Nathaniel. And not because Nathaniel doesn't weigh enough, either. I read somewhere (of course) that fetuses whose others didn't eat regularly grow up to eat more. I figure that's a great excuse for eating lots when you're prego, especially if you're having a girl.

Wright Family said...

Just think, you only have less than a month left! Yeah! Then, youre a mother FOREVER and EVER! You two will be the greatest parents! Don't worry about the pounds, in retrospect, it doesn't really matter. Seriously. Good luck with the next few weeks.