Thursday, February 12, 2009

Four Years and Valentines!



Today marks four years since the day that Berkeley purposed to me. That day, Feb. 12, 2005 is as clear as though it happened yesterday. I thought I couldn't love him any more than I did at that time, but everyday we have been together has been a surprise to me because the love I feel for him today is 100 times what I felt when we got engaged. It is so hard to believe that we have been married for over three and a half years and that we are so close to having our first child together. Life is difficult at times, but I would not trade our experiences for anything in the world. As long as we work hard to maintain a happy, loving relationship and stay close to the gospel, nothing can stay hard for too long. I love Berkeley so much and I am so blessed to have him be my eternal companion.

You can stop reading the mushiness here if you like, but I am going to type the journal entry I made about the day we got engaged, mostly for myself. If interested, read on!

"It happened! Berkeley purposed! We are engaged! On Friday, February 12, Berkeley and I had our Valentines date. We both dressed up and he picked me up at 5:45 PM . I had no idea what we were doing other than going to Salt Lake City. When we got there, Berkeley had me close my eyes and he led me into a building, into an elevator, up a bunch of floors, and into a room. I heard soft music playing and the door close behind me. Berk told me to open my eyes and what i saw took my breath away. The room was lit with white ice sickle lights and two of the walls were made up entirely of windows that overlooked SLC all lit up. There were two couches in the room and a table with chairs. The table was beautifully set up for dinner with china plates, bowls and wine glasses. For dinner, Berkeley ordered food from the Olive Garden. We ate the same dishes that we had on our first date at the Olive Garden, and I was amazed that Berkeley could remember what we both had.
After dinner, Berkeley came to my side of the table and asked me to dance. We danced to Michael Buble music for about 30 minutes and it was the most romantic, wonderful time. After dancing, we looked out the window and Berkeley pointed out to me that the Gallivan Center was right below us. This was where we played in the snow together. That night, I wrote 'I love Berkeley' in the snow, and later that night he said it to me for the first time outside my apartment and I said it back.
The next thing we did was go to Clark Planetarium to see a star show. This was reminiscent of our second date on which we took sleeping bags to Vivian Park, ate chinese food, and star-gazed with star charts. This part of the night was funny because the star show turned out to be put to techno music, so Berkeley and I spent most of the time laughing and making fun of the music.
After the star show, we drove back to Provo and walked around the Provo temple. We stopped at the fountain where Berkeley and I shared our first kiss. It was drizzling a little rain, but neither of us cared. Berkeley pulled an envelope out of his pocket and said he had something to read to me. It turned out that it was a copy of his patriarchal blessing. It was incredible to hear the words of the Lord to Berkeley especially the part concerning his wife and children. He put the envelope back in his pocket, knelt down on one knee, told me that he knew I was the woman the blessing spoke of, pulled a beautiful ring out of his pocket and asked me to marry him. My heart instantly jumped into my throat and I began to cry. I wasn't able to say anything for a minute or two, but of course I finally said yes. This was the most magical, wonderful night of life and I have never been happier.
I feel like I need to constantly thank my Heavenly Father for the blessings I have been given. I have been blessed with a testimony of the true gospel and faith in Christ and God. I have been blessed with the spirit to guide me in all of my decisions . I have an incredible, faithful, close-knit family who love each other very much, and now I have a fiance that treats me like a queen. He loves me and the Lord. He is worthy and willing to take me through the temple to be married forever. I only hope I can live my life worthy enough to return to my Heavenly Father and thank him personally."

6 comments:

Liz and Grant said...

Somehow I missed a lot of the proposal story- I had no idea that there was more than just the "special dinner". Nice work Berkeley- very smooth. you guys are awesome!

Mickelle said...

That is the BEST story! You two are so cute together! Yay for being so valiant in writing down the story, too. Little Asa will love hearing that story someday!

Laura said...

How cute! I am curious where the building was that you guys ate. Thanks for sharing your journal entry. It is a really cute story.

Dorothy said...

Oh, that was so sweet! I love you guys and I'm so glad Berk married you! Congrats on your awesome lives.

Wright Family said...

Oh that was so sweet! I'm so glad you wrote that on here. I love stories like that.

Becca said...

What a great story. Thanks for sharing it. It is perfect for you. You are an amazing girl and deserve the best.