Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Story...Finally.

Berkeley took the time to tell his side of our labor and delivery story, so I decided it was about time I put my thoughts down as well. On Wednesday evening, I started to feel really crummy. I felt like I was having flu symptoms like the chills and fever. I felt bad all through the night and into Friday morning. Also, on Thursday night, I was afraid my water may have broken but I wasn't sure. When I still felt terrible on Friday morning and was unsure about my water breaking, I decided to go in and get checked. When I got to labor and delivery, the nurse did the paper strip test and found that my water was not broken. She started asking me questions about how I had been feeling and decided to take my blood pressure. It was really high so she had me drink some juice and took it again 15 minutes later. It was still very high. Luckily my doctor was on call and at the hospital, so he came in and checked on me. He was really concerned that I was feeling the symptoms of toxemia or preclampsia so he decided to go ahead and induce me. Everything went so fast from that time on. I called Berkeley and luckily he was just getting off the hospital exit and got there just as they were getting ready to put the IV in my arm. It was about 3:30 at that time. They got the pitocin running and I started contracting about 3-5 minutes later. The contractions came faster and harder really quickly. I was getting very uncomfortable, so the best man in the world came in to administer the epidural. The shot didn't hurt in the least bit and worked super quick! That was the best thing I have ever felt! I just layed down on my side and enjoyed the relief. Due to my high blood pressure, the doctor had to put me on Magnesium through my IV. That was the craziest stuff. The doctor warned me that it would make me feel pretty crummy. As soon as it got going, I got so hot and started sweating bullets all over my body. It felt like I was in the middle of the desert with no water or relief. Then it made me feel really lethargic like all of my muscles just didn't work very well. My eyes were so heavy, but I wasn't tired so I felt like I was forcing them open. The nurse only checked me twice. The first time I was at a four and the second time I was complete. Finally they turned the magnesium way down and that made me feel so much better, still loopy, but better. I started pushing at about 9:00 and Asa was born at 9:28 pm. The pushing was so weird! It was like I was outside of my body watching the process because it just seamed so surreal that I was actually giving birth. Not to mention, I felt nothing! It was awesome. Berkeley had to hold one of my legs so he did end up watching the whole process and had no problem with it. It was over before I knew it. I went to the doctor for a simple check-up and 6 hours later, we had our little boy here. Overall, the labor and delivery process was a great experience for me! About an hour after I delivered Asa, my blood pressure went back down to normal range, so it was a really good thing we went ahead and induced. That first night I was so loopy and tired that I don't really remember very much at all. I held Asa for a few minutes, but couldn't really discern what I was feeling. My family and Berkeley's family all came to visit and so did Jeff and Lexi, but I don't remember much about that. The next morning, I was feeling so much more awake and normal, so when they gave me my baby, I felt like I was seeing him for the first time. I just fell in love so instantly. I had no idea that I could feel love and instant concern like that. All of a sudden, I had this little life in my arms that totally depends on me. I also feel more and more in love with Berkeley over the next couple of days while in the hospital. Seeing him hold and care for our little guy made me look at him with a brand new perspective. He is such a great man, a wonderful husband, and now an amazing, caring and attentive father. I am so grateful to have him as my spouse. We are both so grateful beyond description for the love and support that has been given to us. We have been blessed with the best friends and families one could ever ask for. We are super tired and going through a huge learning curve right now, but all is well and we are happy and in love with Asa.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing your side of the story Annie. You little guy is so cute. I love how big the diaper looks on him. It is amazing how fast babies grow. I can't believe that only Lily was that little a couple of months ago.

Shalantie said...

Annie he is so cute. I'm so happy that things went well for you and that your blood pressure was able to come back down. What a huge blessing you two have received. YAY!!!

Wright Family said...

OH I love the video, I watched like 5 times. I'm glad everything went so quickly and smoothly for you. and I totally know what you mean about the surreal out of body experience it is to start pushing and give birth. It's like somthing takes over your mind and body. I have a hard time ever really remembering doing it. I remember it, but not like telling myself to do it. does this make sense at all? anyways, it's a great story and I'm happy he is here and you both are healthy and doing well. I hope the adjustment to a new baby goes well too. If you can get some sleep than things will go great!

Valerie said...

He is so scrumptious! And he looks exactly like his mommy. Take as many pictures as you can because you will be amazed at how quickly he grows. Sophie is only 7 1/2 weeks old and already she looks huge compared to him! I'm so glad you had such an awesome labor. The drugs sound a little nasty, but I'm so jealous of your epidural. And don't worry, you won't be quite so out of it for your next one. I was exactly the same way with my first. Oh, and I hope you don't mind that I'm blog-stalking you now. hehe
-Val (Scott's wife)

Liz and Grant said...

We Love him, and we love you guys! He just makes you that much cooler. Also it is good to know that if we ever really need something we just need to ask Berkley to pray for it, and our wish will be granted that same day ;)HaHa, our conversation on the phone an hour before you went in still cracks me up.

Love Family said...

Congratulations Annie! I am so excited for you. He is a beautiful boy! I hope that things are going well for you this first week. I always thought that was the hardest part. It definitely gets better from here on out. Good luck with everything!

Amber Monson said...

I love hearing others birthing stories. We are so glad everything went so smooth. He looks like a happy health boy. We love you guys. WHat cute little babies you two make.

Amanda said...

Congratulations! Reading both yours and Berkeley's stories choked me up a little. I loved how both of you said that you didn't fall in love with him at first sight. I think you hear stories where they do, but mostly you have to come down from the stress and shock of everything that just happened before you really can just enjoy being a parent. I hope your transition is going well. I think we feel like we're supposed to know what we're doing from day one--but we've never been parents before, so how would we know? And, just remember, they've never HAD parents before either. This is their first time going through it, too. :) That made my transition a little easier. I hope all continues to go well!